Saturday 5 April 2014

Eagle's nest

Like a magical mystery tour, P. and I jumped into the car and took off. We were heading towards a destination that P. knew would be a super walk. All the while, I was distracted with her non-stop conversation. However, the french countryside scenery was beyond stunning. I was privileged to receive a running commentary on every village, castle, building, bridge and natural phenomenon. To be a passenger, without any control over the situation, I seem to be continuously surprised as each hour unfolds. It certainly keeps me guessing with the adrenalin pumping.

I hopped out of the car, while Pascal pinned the vehicle close to a cliff face that edged a narrow road. The walk lulled me into false security, as leafy carpet and sparsely, wooded forest were our friends for a good 15 minutes. 

Before I knew it, my legs were challenged into a steep climb. All the while, P. continued her non-stop banter. By now, we had changed the topic to matters about our lives. We were "girly- bonding" through sharing stories about life's ups and downs.

About an hour into our "walk", it became evident that we were sharing the same giddy heights as the eagles. I paused momentarily to take a snap of this dramatic cliff face. 




I looked back at the route that we had been following. Conversing with P. had distracted me from realising that the climb was quite a few notches more than an "afternoon walk".

Once again, I was reminded of my vertigo when standing precariously close to a cliff edge.



P. had had a relationship with an archeologist for a while and so, I was amazed as she occasionally bent down, and, with an eagle eye, picked up a rusty,  ancient roman nail. Her skill was truly amazing as the stones, pebbles and treasure were deeply camouflaged. Over the period of the afternoon, P. found three Roman nails. I was gifted these treasures, but unfortunately, I left them behind, as I knew that New Zealand customs would not take kindly to the bacteria growing on these amazing artefacts.


Two hours later, the mountain peaks sharpened in my focus.



The drama of the cliff face is only hinted at in the photo. You know what it's like: you have to be there to experience the splendour of the moment.



When P. pointed out the church tucked into the rock face, it took my breath away. Such audacity to create an eagle's nest.

By now, I was drenched in perspiration, determined not to let my state of not being very fit show.



I was very glad, when the path flattened and we entered a village that seemed like well kept secret. ( I later found out that it is a world famous tourist destination.)

By now, I am becoming familiar with narrow alleyways, ancient stone walls, and cute, shuttered windows.



At every turn there was a photo opportunity.



The view from the top made me not only giddy from the height; nor just giddy from the exhilaration of having achieved such a massive climb; but also giddy from the happiness of my extraordinary good fortune: great company, great scenery, great location.



Too cute!




Even cuter! 




P. lives locally, so she (seemingly) knew everyone. At every junction, we stopped, did the whole three cheek kissy thing, and had polite, friendly repartee. P. is highly respected and she is greeted with sincere, warmth and heartfelt sentiments of friendship.






Needless to say, the "walk" back down was quicker. By the time we had reached the car again, we had opened our hearts and souls to each other through non-stop chatter. We had bonded magnificently. 

We stopped at a little grocer shop to buy vegetables for soup. Across the road was a large, old building. This is a hospice for P's ageing mother-in-law. I was privy to seeing inside the hospice. All the walls were painted bright, cheerful colours. We arrived at dinner time. P. is a deeply caring, empathetic, and loving daughter-in-law.

That evening, we slurped on beautifully home cooked soup. Deciding on which wine to indulge in was difficult. So I had a tiny glassful of each bottle.


Slipping under the delicious, white cotton sheets that evening, sure felt like heaven.

Little did I know, at that point in time, that the "walk" was a test of my fitness, to see if I was capable of an even more challenging "walk" the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment