Wednesday 9 October 2013

L'artiste-moi

On return from my art-inspired visit to Aix-en-Provence,  I announced to M and H that I intend to investigate having art lessons. 

There was an establishment in the centre of town that I had spotted. I paused outside, pondering the details posted on the window. .........   ........

My imagination took flight. An artist's easel placed in the garden of my new apartment; the horses flicking their tails under a willow tree; me gentling caressing the canvas with confident flair; the water colours dancing on the paper with colourful abandon. Hmmmm.

Anyway ...... M disappeared upstairs for a few minutes. I could hear her rummaging and fossicking amongst belongings stored upstairs in cupboards and drawers. She proudly emerged with a palette of water colour paints, brushes of various sizes and a pad of thick, quality paper. I squealed with surprise and delight. How did she know that that was what i was thinking. Again, not too distant memories kicked into action. Dad had tried his hand at poetry and water colour paintings when he travelled to distant exotic locations: North America and Africa. His pictures still remain on display in Mum's garage. Originally they were pepper-potted at various locations around my parents' house. I loved the one that he painted of Manu, our beloved Golden retriever. There is something endearing about an animal when it is in a deep, restful sleep. I'll never forgive the woman that criticised Dad's work when he went to art lessons at a nearby location. She also committed a sin by re-touching his painting with her own handy work. This put a stop to dad's artistic attempts.

So with inspiration from Matisse, Cèzanne, Renoir and Picasso; a fair dash of artistic talent coursing through my veins, I braved the desire to produce a masterpiece on the first attempt and brought the watercolour palette to life once again. Here is Viki Runnerström's creation, October, 2013. (I copied the idea from an app on my i pad.)

H remarked, with positive critique, that the water contained movement and that colour of the water looked mediterranean. He didn't mention the naïve quality of the picture itself. Good for him. No room for negative critique.I like to think of it as a child-like fresh perspective. I also believe that it has a primitive Matisse-like expressionism. I think I'll be the pioneer for the "nouveau wave of watercolour- fauvist expressionism." 

Please read into it, the metaphor for making the most of difficult situations. Also please read into it "the cliché-esque iconic symbolism of conflicting emotions. The lack of depth and visual perspective only serves the innocent-like primitive flair of Viki's first of a series of nouveau watercolour -fauvist expressionism."

There now, I can see it now. My own art exhibition, travelling the length and breadth of Nouvelle-Zélande. ...... ....... ........



No comments:

Post a Comment