Tuesday 21 January 2014

Food


Observation: 
Café = Bar /coffee
Salon du Thé = Tea/ coffee/ crépes
Croissanterie = lunch/ coffee/ cold drinks
Patisserie = bakery/ machine dispensed coffee

Below is a croissanterie where I treated myself to a bought lunch.

At 12:05 p.m. the queue was quite long as a large number of people converged on this centre-of-town eatery. (Remember, most businesses close for two hours in the middle of the day!)

I had plenty of time to deliberate on my choice of meal whilst standing in the queue. I also had time to do a survey on what was the most common type of lunch purchased; what cross-section of people ate in joints like this and what was the best value for money.



I decided upon a Ceasar salad, with a bottle of lemon water and a dessert of the world's most exquisite raspberry tart.




The raspberry tart was a sweet, delicate short pastry, with just the right amount of custard. The raspberries were fresh as the day they were born. Their taste was piquant, ripe and a soft texture; topped with a sweet wobbly jam'jelly. Oh My Goodness! This cost 8.9 Euros.

The filled rolls are called, "Sandwich".
The cheese toasted sandwiches are called, "Croque Monsieur."
The array of delicious little dessert treats are WONDERFULLY WICKED.

I sat for half an hour whilst American pop songs (videos) belted out noise from the two large screen TVs. I observed families, couples and business people as they performed the lunch ritual with french flair.

1 comment:

  1. You can leave a comment using your email address. Be aware that your e mail address is not made public. Be patient. Your comment does not show up straight away. The comment gets screened first by Google. Oh the joys of advanced technology!

    ReplyDelete