Friday 31 January 2014

SNOW a beast and a beauty




Wednesday is my day to attend university, have a one hour tutoring session with Brigitte and then we attend an exercise class together at a school gymnasium.

I was delighted that it had finally begun to snow in Gap. I decided to walk the 3 kilometres into town. A great idea. Exercise and experience the novelty of the weather phenomenon. The snowflakes fell with feathery lightness and the landscape began to transform before my eyes.

I put on a couple of coats and other various garments that I thought were appropriate for the conditions. Had I known how the day would have eventuated, I would have worn much more sensible undergarments.

The brisk half hour walk into town eventuated into a very slow full hour and a bit. The snow made the footpath slippery, and the cold was quite ...........   chilling. I was 20 minutes late for the university class which was a bit embarrassing.

Throughout the two hour session, I could see out the window that the snow had developed into a full blown heavy drop. The sky was thick with descending white snowflakes. It just became thicker and thicker; more heavy and opaque with each passing minute.

After class, I negotiated my way to the bus stop. Cars were driving very slowly. All the windows were coated in snow and I felt empathy for the drivers as their vision must have been close to zero. Some cars slipped, swerved and slithered around the roundabouts. Some young drivers treated the experience as if it were a rally. One poor person was pushing their scooter home. One car was free planing for a long time as solid chunks of ice stuck beneath the rear wheels preventing traction.

I stood at the bus stop thank full that the bus would arrive soon, so that I didn't have to wait too long in these freezing conditions. After waiting for some considerable time, I realised that the bus was late as the traffic had slowed down immensely. After 50 minutes the hard, cold reality had sunk in: the bus was not going to arrive at all. I rang Brigitte to cancel out on our plans.

I negotiated my way to another bus stop to try and make a different connection to make my way home. There were a large number of people at this bus stop, so I thought this was a good sign. I knew that my bus didn't need to negotiate any significant slope so MY bus should be in action. 

I stood there in the freezing conditions. My fingers began to turn into solid blocks. I began to shiver and realisation sunk in that I wasn't coping too well with body heat. If I began the trek home on foot, I would be in a precarious situation as I didn't have the right footwear, and I could fall prey to the elements. 

I had a lovely vista as I waited with increasing trepidation for the second bus. 



Eventually the bus turned up and thoughts of defrosting my bones when I arrived home, filled my soggy head.

The bus was sardine-packed. The bus inched its way along the flat snowy- congested road. My delight transformed into horror when the bus driver called out to all the passengers that after the next stop, everyone had to get off.

I was defeated. So I trudged home getting wetter and wetter with each miserable step. My pace was slow in order to feel where the solid ground was. 

I bravely stopped to remove my gloves and take a snap of the scene that was in front of me.




I was deeply grateful that I had made it home with no severe effects from experiencing the elements with raw authenticity, despite the 2 and a half hour ordeal.

When I put my bag down, I began to relax and SEE  the beauty of my garden. As the day began the transition into night, the light seemed to be pink.





And then, lo and behold, all of a sudden the air turned icy blue.





I smiled to myself. Grateful and in awe of the magical light show that Mother nature provided.


1 comment:

  1. Snow is very pretty to look at, as your photos show, but it plays havoc with everyday life, like trying to get home. Make sure you have thermals on to keep you warm :)

    ReplyDelete