Saturday 11 January 2014

Monte Carlo Hits Gap!






The 2014 Monte Carlo Rally will be held over three days between 14 and 18 January. Last year the headquarters was based in a nearby town called, Valence. This year the headquarters have been relocated to Gap.






There is a flurry of activity around town. I have been warned that it impacts on traffic flow and that normal life in town will be totally disrupted. 

A twinkle of glee entered my eyes as I was told this. Yay! A world-wide event held in our little town ……. on my doorstep, nonetheless! I looked out the window of the classroom at school to see a whole lot of energetic, muscular young 20 year old men. They all wore the same rally promotion t shirt. There was much banging and clattering as an enormous structure was in the process of being erected.

I tried prodding a few people for a bit more information; alas, no one knew much. In fact one person said that she thought it was a circus that was coming to town.

The photo below is a shot from last year's rally. No snow here in Gap at the moment.




So, I've looked up "Monte Carlo" on the internet. This year there are 71 entries. The entries feature three VW Polo R WRCs, two Hyundi i20 WRCs, two Citroën DS3 WRCs and seven Ford Fiesta RS WRCs.

The roads around the alps would be incredibly difficult to negotiate at speed. Boy, it's gonna be exciting!



I read an article in the Riviera Times that the third generation Mini is set to launch in March. (The Mini took the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally by storm and won!)

Personally I am very excited about the new Mini about to be released. I LOVE the car. 

And so when I saw this little baby parked not far from my house, I seized the opportunity to take a couple of snaps.



Très chic!



Ok. And this little honey puts a smile on my face every morning as I walk to school. There are a few driving around town. My private sport is to have a good look at the type of person driving the car. Frequently they are the youngish, bohemian sort of person. ( A bit like a person who hangs out in cafés in Kingsland.)




I also see a lot of these little Bambinos scooting around town. They are brightly coloured and ALWAYS put a smile on my dial.




I was sooooo lucky to visit the famous car museum in Italy. I was entranced with the early cars of the 1920s.


The exhibits were pristine and magnificent!



 The lighting wasn't that great for taking photos. Aside from the Mini, my other car of choice, that fills up my imagination, is the Chrysler Dodge. I love the way the rear door opens backwards, the running board adds flavour, along with the sleek lines around the wheels.



The displays in the car museum gave life to the cars. They showed lifestyles that the cars fed into ….



This little baby was around in the sixties. The "Hair" musical; the movie, "The Love Bug". It epitomises freedom and release from stiff regimentation.



I guess the painted VW vans that you see around NZ are paying tribute to this paradigm.



I can hardly wait to get back to NZ to ride " Gigi."







No comments:

Post a Comment