Sunday 5 January 2014

The Wall





Over the past few weeks I have experienced "The Wall."

The wall is an invisible hurdle, where culture, over- saturation of language immersion and pining for the sanctuary of home hits me over the head like a wet, soggy cloud.

Winter is not my season of preference.

"The wall" is not a permanent fixture, but I am looking forward to it melting away and enabling me to resume my life here in France with renewed fortitude.

There is a cool french expression:
"À chaque jour suffit sa peine."  One day at a time. When translated directly, it means that if you have one day of difficulty, that day should be kept to that day only ….. not perpetuated into further endurance.

I have often said aloud when on holiday, "If only one could bottle sunshine and bring it out during winter." I am deeply grateful to my sister, who lives on the Gold Coast of Australia. My mother has been visiting her there for two weeks. During the holiday period, they have sent me sunshine through invisible transmission. Thank you for your daily dose of sunshine.

In fact, in the north of France, the lack of sunshine, can cause terrible diseases and mental health issues, is a known fact. I can see how it is a reality. However, it is not so common here in the South of France.

One day when I write the fabulous best seller of Viki's experiences in France, it will be the adversities, the mistaken understandings and mis-communications where the most amusing anecdotes will be told. 

However, I have a quick anecdote to tell you. Unfortunately, I cannot blame cultural misunderstandings nor the language barrier to cover my faux pas. I was talking to the landlords, and I turned to descend to my apartment below. I was completely SHAMOOZLEDLY CONFUSED when I walked into ……… the toilet! !!!!!!!!!!!! The door to descend the stairs and the door to the toilet are identical and side by side. What a complete fool I am. Imagine the hilarity as the landlords recount this story to their french comrades!

Sometimes, I do not represent New Zealand in a positive way!



"Âllo, Mr Key? So sorry to represent NZ with an empty brain! "




Here is photographic proof of my misunderstanding.








*********************************************************


Thank you to everyone whom has expressed an interest in this blog. At times, it seems as if I am talking to a brick wall. I understand that it is difficult to use the comment box to respond.
Thank you, Greg, for leaving a comment. I get your "vibes" of encouragement and support. I deeply appreciate it.


############################################################

Today I made a quick visit to a patisserie. I asked for a cappuccino. However, my memory banks clicked into action. Last time I was here, the girl made a tiny, tiny expresso and filled the minuscule cup to the top with cold milk. So, this time I asked for a hot cappuccino. The milk was heated up. Oh dear. It was marginally better. Anyway, I bought these little petits fours to go with my coffee. They are delicious. They are tiny, bite-sized meringues. A perfect accompaniment to the bitter coffee.







No comments:

Post a Comment