Wednesday 1 January 2014

Viaduct



Today's walk, the first day of the year, was a quest to visit the local viaduct. The air was crisp, cold and fresh. 

I headed towards my intended destination, but I wasn't exactly sure what road to follow.

At an intersection, I stopped to ask a gentleman for directions. He spoke in very clear, well articulated french. I found him easy to understand. So when he suggested that we walk together to the next intersection, it was easy to fall into step together and converse. His 12 year old border collie was adorable and the walk transpired into a full circuit of the local streets.

I learnt that the area around the viaduct has become blocked to the public because of vandalism. I also learnt that if I really wanted to visit the viaduct, I needed to go a very complicated and roundabout route to get there. So when we reached a suitable point, I asked if he would take my photo, with the viaduct in the background. It is a (working) bridge for the train.


After a leisurely stroll with this gentleman, I was delighted to have made his acquaintance. 

He told me all about Gap and I told him of the reasons behind my 10 month visit to Gap. It was very pleasant in contrast to the evening prior, where talking fluently was a major downfall in my conversational french.

No comments:

Post a Comment