Sunday 9 February 2014

Hysterically funny




I have two all-time favourite videos on Youtube. They have been in circulation for a long while. Every time they resurface, I laugh until I cry. One is a game show host losing self control at every mention of a famous skier called, "Fanny Schmeller." The other clip is of an interviewer losing self control while he tries to interview a man with a ridiculously squeaky voice at the hands of an operation gone wrong. You know what its like, you think you've got it under control and then it burst out again. I am also a fan of Funny Home videos, which is outrageously disrespectful of other people's dignity. 

I am fully aware that laughing at other people's misfortunes is a travesty of the worst kind. 

The other day, I fell victim to my own game. I had a small group of 14 year old boys and girls, withdrawn from their usual english lesson, so that they could practise their oral skills. There were 4 boys and 4 girls. The group was energetic and full of good humour. At the beginning of the session, 2 of the boys decided that I sounded "funny". Every time I opened my mouth, they went into uncontrollable fits of laughter. At first, I dealt with it through understanding that it was all very strange and weird for them. But then it became impossible to speak, as their guffaws were difficult to compete with. The others were in control and respectfully polite. Despite my understanding that they were young, and that I presented as an oddity, I quickly became quite offended at their arrogant, immature attitude towards me. The situation was diffused as one of them returned to his lesson with his regular teacher. (Once upon a time ... I was 14 .... so I am totally Ok with it all.) It was a bit awkward, nevertheless.

I can see a pattern arising. I am finding that people who have learnt a different language, or people that have experienced life out of their hometown, are tolerant, empathetic and patient towards foreigners.

I am so glad that the New Zealand government is seeing the need to become part of a global community. We seem to be tucked away, next to and a bit further down than Australia. We are surrounded in vast areas of ocean; our nearest neighbour speaks English, etc. It is in this way that NZ is spending money on the facilitation of excellent pedagogy, teacher skills and advancing the quality of second language acquisition. Being part of the system whereby NZ teachers have the opportunity to experience their chosen second language in an immersion experience is beyond fortunate. 

Research into second language acquisition tells us that language and culture are inextricably woven together. We also know that comparisons and connections between languages and cultures are part and parcel of the learning process. The expansion of perspectives is a fantastic phenomenon that I have increasingly become part of. I feel that I will return to New Zealand with a new-found empathy for "foreigners" for want of a better word.

In my English conversation classes, I invite students to try and speak by giving them subjects written on cards. Here are some thought provoking discussion starters:


  • Cultural differences cause problems. Is it better for people to stay in their own countries rather than migrate to other ones? Do you agree?
  • Would you rather live in  a monoculture, or a multi-racial society? Why?
  • It is better to study international languages, rather than spending time on minority languages for the sake of racial identity. Do you agree?
  • Is it better to marry someone of the same cultural background?
  • How do you think French culture differs form British culture/American culture?
  • Are children of illegal immigrants entitled to a public education?
And so, I am so proud that my family are well travelled. Their minds have been expanded exponentially and I can see that they will be fabulous ambassadors for the promotion of not only cultural tolerance, but also, for a culturally harmonious and peaceful future.

New York

Auckland
Gap, France

Paris

Cuneo, Italy
Paris


Nice, France
Lyons, France













No comments:

Post a Comment