Tuesday 31 December 2013

Christmas Eve magic

After all the merriment in the "basement," we surfaced to another part of the chateau. There, the boys found presents that had been left to them. I was moved to be part of such a heart warming family time. 

The boys were subdued, but in awe of the generosity and appropriateness of each of their presents. I felt rather awkward as my gifts were quite humble. Nevertheless, the boys were extremely grateful and showed delight and pleasure in what I had given them.






The fire was sooooo entrancing. It had been stoked up to provide heat throughout the night.

 It was the early hours of the morning and a tempest was raging outside. I retreated to my huge double bed in the loft. I slept between pure linen sheets. I was incredibly cosy. I managed to effortlessly drift into a deep sleep with the rain pounding on the roof and a soft draught sweeping around the room.



Christmas Day.

The tempest has disappeared leaving a wet, wintry scene to wake up to. The rain continued to pelt down.

We all slept in till late. The next morning we drifted into the kitchen and ate a casual breakfast. The boys returned to examining their presents. I picked up my gift: a massive book of photographs of the french alps from the air. I was extremely delighted with this gift, as I have fallen deeply in love with the mountains. I always ask the name of each peak, whenever we travel through the alps and I find the rock formations and dramatic, steep slopes magical. There are always waterfalls, caves, unusual vegetation and little villages perched in the most precarious places. The landscape also has many abbeys that used to harbour reclusive monks. I have only visited one abbey so far. I would dearly like to visit some more.

Anyway, this massive book of photographs encapsulates the wonders of the alps in all seasons. The peaks are named. In particular, Mont Blanc grabs my fancy. It has increased by 2 metres as the peak is encrusted with ice and snow. Mont Blanc has become elusive so far. I have researched into how to get there. It doesn't appear to be simple. Also, Chamonix is the highest town. It is a very expensive tourist resort, so I will have to try hard to think outside the square.

So….. I was to be chauffeured back to Gap to spend Christmas lunch with another family.

Before I left, I took snaps of the beautiful people that were my hosts. I haven't included snaps of the boys.


Here are the beautiful matriarch and patriarch of the proceedings. I expressed my gratitude and honour at being included in their festivities to them.




No comments:

Post a Comment