Thursday 5 December 2013

Cute little red coat



I was in town the other day, when I spotted this little pooch sporting a home made crocheted coat. The little doggie was extremely friendly and was totally adorable. I spoke to him in french. It felt weird, but when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I asked his owner, if I could take a photo. Well as soon as the camera was pointed in his direction, he turned his face away. Thinking that it was an ill-timed faux pas, I took another photo, and again he turned his face away from the camera. I waited and waited but, no, alas, he didn't want to look at the camera. So I took the photo anyway. I wonder if he was embarrassed about the red coat????

The owner told me a story about the wicked next door neighbour's dog. I really didn't understand much of what she was saying. I tried to pull the appropriate expressions on my face as she was recounting the story, but somehow, I don't think I pulled it off as she bid me adieu with very little feedback from me.



It was a Wednesday market day. The markets continue, in spite of the crispy cold. However, they are not as busy as the other three seasons. It really is a wonderful social place to feel the friendly vibe of the townspeople. I am beginning to feel pretty smart, as every now and then I bump into someone that I know. We do the three cheeked salute and exchange pleasantries. It feels pretty cool to be accepted as a community member.

I asked someone this morning, which cheek should I offer first. She stopped, thought hard and announced that one begins with the right cheek. I'm glad I sorted that out finally, as there have been a few occasions of awkward face contact because I didn't follow the unwritten rules of salutation.


I have finished knitting a striped scarf. I wore it to the market day excursion. I love the way it goes with jeans and picks up my favourite colour at the moment: pink.



My friend, B, is a very clever lady. She made this Christmas wreath, coronne, after cutting the young pine branches off the tree. Each red candle stands for the four Sundays before Christmas. You light one each Sunday in December.

She also made little sachets to be opened each day before Christmas. Like an Advent calendar. She pops little gifts in each pocket. The pockets hang on a plank hanging on the wall. It was a good excuse for her to teach me new vocabulary. I feel very embarrassed sometimes as people painstakingly help me acquire new vocabulary, but I promptly forget it the next day!



I was asked if I am enjoying the beautiful delights from the patisserie's in France. I responded with a negative as I have on the whole resisted a lot of temptations. But on pondering on this, I realised that I don't want to have any regrets. So I promptly visited a local patisserie and bought two items. ( They were delicious, fresh and melt-in-your-mouth perfection.) The owners let me take photos of their displays. These kind of delectable displays are everywhere.








I would also like to add that not everything is delicious. I have been adventurous in making purchases in the supermarket and I have thrown out quite a few items that are quite unpalatable, e.g. cheese, sausage and a sort of sweet spread. Even some of the bread is tough and chewy.


No comments:

Post a Comment