Sunday 22 December 2013

Christmas shopping in Gap







Saturday morning markets are a highlight of my week. I catch the bus into town and walk through a cobblestoned alleyway as an entrance to the market.

Immediately my senses hit the jackpot.

A rainbow of colours: awnings, Christmas decorations, flowers and brightly coloured stalls. Little dogs in their best Christmas coats, styly woollen hats (felted/homemade/crafty), fantastic shop displays and masses and masses of people.

There's always someone talking loudly on the phone. I confess I quite often eaves drop when sitting at the bus stop, on the bus, in cafés, on the street, standing in queues, etc. I know that it is extremely rude. The truth is that I couldn't care a less about what they are saying. I actually use it to try and understand the french language. Conversational french is rapid, colloquial and abbreviated. So I often use my eaves dropping as authentic french lessons. It also has become a gauge of my own progress with the french language acquisition. I am slowly able to understand more and more of "street" french.






Here are some turkeys for sale. The next stall had turkeys for sale with the heads still attached. The faces were grotesque and gruesome. I was horrified. I was keen to take a photo to show you but I felt that it may offend the stall owner if I took a photo.




The market has a very strong aroma of rotisserie cooked chicken wafting through the air. The country herbs and delicious aromatic fragrance enhances the market experience exponentially.

I wander along, smiling at the stall owners, fascinated as purchases are made with prolonged conversations, marvelling at the variety of interesting things for sale. I love the way that most of the products are locally grown, or made.



However, above all, it is the chance meeting of friends that is the pinnacle of the market experience. The cry of delight at the surprise to see one another, the three cheeked kisses to each and everyone, the salutations, the conversation and then the ritual of the goodbye. It is such a wonderful social occasion. A bit like a community street party.

Being so close to Christmas, I was delighted to snap a photo of a band walking along playing Christmas songs.





I have really enjoyed scouring the shops for affordable and appropriate gifts for my new friends. As usual. I always find stuff that I would like to buy for myself!

As soon as I open my mouth, the shop owner tends to talk slower, mouth their words in an exaggerated way and show me the total price with a wide finger sweep at the illuminated till display. Always with a smile and sometimes with the odd english word thrown in for good measure. If I offer that I am from New Zealand, it is always responded with a knowing of the incredible beautiful countryside that we have. 

Yes. I confess, Christmas shopping in Gap is an immense pleasure.



No comments:

Post a Comment