Sunday 8 December 2013

Linguistic expert




I sat in the movie theatre, wrapped in thousands of layers of clothing. ( My miserable cold symptoms meant that my bones were excruciatingly cold). I had forced myself to come into town to watch this movie. It was 3:00 p.m. only two other souls with me in the movie theatre. I rustled around in my bag for the timetable, thinking that I had better see what time the bus leaves town after the movie finishes. Too late. The lights went off and the movie started straight away leaving me high and dry with thoughts about the return bus trip.

The movie was demanding. Ambitious for my feeble french. I have never been one to shirk a challenge, thus finding myself in a sea of language deciphering. The movie was in arabic. The subtitles were in french. The theme was that of peace in the Middle East. 

"Dans un jardin je suis entré" is a documentary that has won an award at a film festival. Very political, but the essence of the movie intrigues me. I have always had a burning desire to live in a better world ….. …..  a world without war. The title is a poetic reference to a scene that poignantly illustrates the barriers and racist sentiments within the Middle East.








Salle means theatre.
Le Club is the name of the theatre in Gap that shows film festival-type movies.
Séance means session.




After the movie, I congratulated myself for managing to get the main points and gain enough information to appreciate the sentiments of the film maker.

On exiting the theatre I hunkered underneath my multiple layers to try and avoid the biting air. Walking towards the bus stop I realised that my feet were frozen and that this is not good for my rotten cold.

On finding that the timetable on the bus shelter wall and my timetable in my bag did not correspond, I audibly groaned at the thought of waiting 20 minutes for the bus. It would have been an impossible feat, considering my present condition of icy discomfort.

I made it home with fortitude and reluctant trudgery! ( A new word that I just made up. I think I am becoming a linguistic expert!)


No comments:

Post a Comment