Wednesday 25 September 2013

An Evening to Remember




 A most adorable english teacher, of greek origin, asked me to join herself and her husband for dinner. 

As usual I only grasp every 4th word, so, after establishing the main facts, I usually smile and nod my head to indicate that I understood most of what has been communicated.

So when Ève picked me up at 6:45 p.m. on Friday night, I was expecting that we were going to dine at her place. En route to her place, she kindly gave me a kind of tour guide run-down of notable places. Very cool.

We pulled up to the kerb in a very, very pleasant street, that had a view over the city, nestled way below in the valley. I asked Ève to pose for me in front of her house. I am acutely aware of privacy issues, so I thought it would be rude to post a more detailed account of her house. Nevertheless, you get the general idea that it is picturesque. The suburb is relatively new, about 10 years. The house was extremely well presented.





Despite having worked at school that day, Ève had taken the time to present the little coffee table with  artistic skill that I admire.

Learnt that she and her husband loved their two young adult sons with loving passion. They had worked very hard to provide the best education on offer. The sons returned their appreciation of this with dedicated commitment to study. I was given the honour of proof reading a covering letter for a prestigious job, written in english, of one of the sons.

The rooms had many photos of shared happy family times, chronicling the passage of time.



Ève had made some delicious appetisers: tapenade: black olives, salty, green olives and sundried tomatoes. The green chips are wasabi flavoured.

Ève's husband arrived home a few minutes after we arrived. He had had a long, tiring day at work. He was forewarned about the "hot" wasabi chips. He chuckled and demolished quite a few. It wasn't long before he broke into a red-faced sweat. He he he.



Group photo taken on my i pad. The entire wall of Ève's salon was mirrored. Consequently, the room was illuminated with plentiful natural sunlight. However, as night approached the lights were turned on and the shutters were closed. A most useful invention for winter cosiness.


I was given a wide selection of choices to drink. I'm so glad that I chose the option that was the most unfamiliar to me:


It was a kind of liqueur with the best flavours of whiskey, Southern Comfort and wine, all mixed together. Well, that certainly, relaxed me and my ability to speak fluent french improved immensely! He he he.

So, I was a little surprised when coats were fetched and movements and gestures indicated that we were on the move!

"Qu'est-ce que se passe?"  What's going on?

We proceeded to embark on a journey. I felt like I was on a magical mystery tour. I felt like a kid again. My independence swept away from me. I kind of guessed that we were going to dine out. Note to self: just eat the main course, ( $$$!)

We drove through intersections, over bridges, along a highway, etc. My curiosity was piqued.   I wondered why we didn't just travel to somewhere local. Anyway, as it turns out, they had a favourite Pizza restaurant , that resided next to the lake, where they habitually brought visiting guests. Ah, what a pleasant surprise.

The restaurant had 3 seating options: outside in the FRESH air under a canopy; directly inside next to the kitchen; or at the back, in a large, wooden, cosy room. We chose the latter.




The menu. my french held up pretty well. 

The petite pizza, I was forewarned was NOT petite. The grande was IMPOSSIBLE!

I was grateful for this warning, as I could only eat half of the petite pizza. I asked for the other half to be packaged so that I could take it home. This request was met with a chuckle and a very convivial attitude. So, ALL french waiters are not rude and arrogant.


The handsome, young waiter was only too happy to take a group photo.

Yum, goat's cheese pizza.




Ève's husband chose a desert called, "gourmand". It means a small taste of a variety of deserts.

He asked me to translate into english how we would express un gourmand, meaning a person that enjoys tasting quality food. I was at a loss. What do you think I should have suggested? In my head, I thought, "foodie". But this was not quite right.



Ève ordered fresh fruit salad, but like a glutton that I am, I ordered a scoop of ice cream. Naturally, my first choice wasn't available, so I chose, Cola instead. Voilà!

A frog and a pink butterfly. Une grenouille et un papillon rose. Now, I REALLY FEEL like a kid!



Can you read the love, the kindness and the goodwill in this couple's eyes?




The cosy room was adorned with bizarre ornaments: snails , frogs and random paintings.
Above all, the ambience of people dining together reigned.


Armed with a full belly and a happy countenance, we chatted all the way home. I was dropped at the door of my host family.

How could I express my gratitude sufficiently to this charming couple, who had opened their house and their hearts to me? Somehow, " Merci beaucoup" didn't seem quite adequate.
Note to self: reciprocate when I have the first opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment