Monday 30 September 2013

Inner city apartment


I was asked to dinner with the most gorgeous, vibrant, young french family that you could imagine. I haven't posted pictures of them, as I don't feel comfortable doing so without gaining their permission first. 

I walked into town and met the teacher and his exuberant young daughter. We walked a short distance to their central, 3 storied apartment. The ancient stairwell was direct from a french filme noire. The spiralling staircase had me puffing by the time I had reached their apartment.  The moment the door opened, I was greeted with kindness and much fanfare. I was shown around the apartment which had been beautifully set out with practical solutions for minimum space. The couches, rugs, cushions, bedrooms and dining area oozed "lived-in" charm. 

The kids squealed with delight as I admired their cache of toys. The lego man took my eye, as I remember this goofy looking guy from when my boys enjoyed the delights of constructing with lego. I got a good close-up of him. 




The bonsai in the corner, is gigantic. I wonder how old it is?




The view from the tiny balcony to the city street below was quite high. I didn't get too close to the edge to try and capture the ambience of living in such a cool location.  




Here is another shot looking up the street.




By now these shots of me with a wine perched in my fist, pinky aristocratically pointed, is a common occurrence. Why not? I'm not driving. he he he.




I loved playing Santa Claus as I pulled out little gifts for the kids from New Zealand. They eagerly enjoyed the humble offerings. Next thing I know, one of the girls was tying a home-made friendship bracelet onto my wrist and the sweet little four year old had drawn an adorable picture of a man, the sun and a bird. 

The apperitif went down nicely thank you very much and the chips and carrot sticks disappeared within minutes, feeding hungry little stomachs. The tomato tarte was delicious beyond words!!!! I thought that was the main course, but no. The main course was a wonderful beef casserole cooked in wine and dauphinoise-style potatoes. The kids demolished it in minutes. So whilst the adults talked, I showed the kids an easy game to play on my i pad. They instantly became addicted. That kept them quiet whilst the adults finished the main course. Dessert was delicious french vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce.

The beautiful paper serviettes were appropriately french.



The kids politely went to bed without any fuss. The adults continued to chat and discuss all sorts of topics.

It was the end of the working week and both parents had their hands full. I was so lucky to be driven home. 

That night I found it hard to drift off into a peaceful sleep, as I was still buzzing from an incredible evening of french hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment