Monday 30 September 2013

Sink or Swim


Before I departed for France, I had many lessons to improve my ability to speak and write french. After an unsuccessful semester with Alliance Française, due to my inability to connect with the teaching style, I tried taking private lessons. I was constantly dismayed at my inability to make rapid progress. I consistently felt dumb and very empathetic towards my students as learners. 

I knew that my trip to France was going to ensure my ability to speak french is a success. Sink or swim has been an old teaching technique.

Well into my third week in France, I had a sink or swim experience. Three hours. A kind english teacher at school invited me to meet his wife and then onwards to view a potential apartment. He patiently explained everything to me in slow french so that I could understand. Nouns, verbs and adjectives were explained and examined. Whilst waiting for his wife to emerge from an art lesson, we paused in the sunshine to take in the view. A gorgeous gentleman was doing the gardening and the ensuing rapid french conversation (lesson) began to rev up. After about 10 minutes of repartie, the ladies spilled out of the house and the 6- person conversation went into full thrust. There was much joking, laughter, teasing and gentile mayhem. It was thoroughly enjoyable, but I have to say, a lot of it went over my head.

After a good 30 minutes of wonderful, neighbourly discussion, we retreated to the beautiful home of the english teacher. I simply had to take photos of the two gorgeous welcome signs at the front door.








I was quite impressed with this fantastic, simple Matisse that was on display. 




I quickly learnt that they loved art and that the whole family was very, very arty.



I was shown around their beautiful home and we conversed over a very delightful cup of tea. The house was teaming with glorious light, and happy family memories filled every possible space.

I loved the red shutters and here is a photo of me trying to look slim. I think I achieved the opposite. Note to self: do not stand in this position in future photos.



The end of season garden was gorgeous. Everywhere in Gap, people cultivate their own kitchen requirements.


I was then taken to a beautiful apartment on the other side of town. There was even more amicable and friendly conversation with the charming owner. I was most impressed with the setting and facilities. I was tempted, the drawback was its distant location from school and town. The free bus was the solution. So the english teacher took me on the route into town and then along another route back to school in order to help me become familiar with the journey. All the time I was being taught even more vocabulary,verbs, phrases, colloquialisms, adjectives, names of places, etc.

By the time I was dropped off chez moi, I had really experienced the most incredibly intense french speaking lesson. I was deeply grateful for all the time and effort that had gone into helping me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment