Saturday 14 September 2013

Whew!

This is the train ticket that enabled me to travel from Paris to Gap, Provence. Please examine the ticket and agree with me that it looks complicated. I was darned lucky to have a kind colleague who can speak fluent french, to explain to me the mechanics and intricacies of this wonderful ticket. It is first necessary to catch two Metro trains to get to La Gare de Lyons. It is then necessary to arrive at the correct Hall in the train station. There are three massive Halls to choose from. It is then necessary to stand in front of the large electronic screen, find one's train by recognising the code, the time of departure and the destination. Once you have found that, then you must wait patiently for the platform number to appear. It does this about 10 - 15 mins before departure. Once the platform number appears, a sea of people merge en masse towards the platform. Once on the platform, it is necessary to find the carriage number. Once that has been found, then one enters the train, mounts the stairs and then finds the appropriate seat number. Once one finds the correct seat, one must negotiate with courtesy to tell the person who is sitting in seat number 88 to go away and sit in the seat number that is written on their own ticket because I would like my window seat for the scenic journey.

After the three hour trip to Grenoble, it is then necessary to exit the train, and do the whole procedure again to connect with another train to Gap. Oh la la.
The New Zealand flag adorns my bed. It's amazing how I have suddenly become patriotic!!!
The next day, I was very lucky to be given a day of rest. Thank goodness after a day of  the train adventures.
In the afternoon, I was given a lift the short distance into town. After spending some Euros on a Nano Sim card, that I was told was for free in NZ, I sat exhausted by the fountain to send a message announcing my new number. Oh no. Not so simple. The card didn't work. An hour of problem solving resulted in success, but another 25 Euros. Oh la la.
I took a shot of the fountain just before it exploded into an eruption of tall cascades.
With a big smile on my face, I proceeded to explore this quaint little town. The shop fronts had me fascinated. Very pretty indeed.
There was beauty everywhere. The typical architecture and  geraniums adorning every window were superb.
See what I mean?
Oh my goodness. This shop owner has made beckoning customers inside an art form.
OOPS! A faux pas. I didn't mean to include a duplicate photo. My blog skills are not yet honed so that I can delete it.
Cool ay?
Uh oh. Another duplicate.
Very cute!
A photo of the obligatory european church. The front door was open. I was really tempted to go in, however, it was getting late and I was lost by this time. It occurred to me that I should go in and ask God for directions to find my way to the bus stop. God definitely helped out because once I found the bus stop, I waited for ever for a bus. I asked a lady to explain things to me and I was blown away when she called her husband on the phone. He turned up in a van, like a chivralous knight and he and his wife drove me home. Oh la la. Now that is small town hospitality to the max!
It is necessary to turn your head sideways to try and get an idea of what this picture should be. Later that same evening, I had the time of my life as 3 families and myself shared a meal together. Rapid fire conversation. Lots of jokes, happiness and incredible conviviality towards me. As I burbled my hesitant french they all sat attentively in silence, trying to understand what I was trying to say. The italian red wine was rich and magnificent. the varied array of unusual foods fascinated me and I was extremely impressed with the confidence, articulation and joie de vivre of the whole gathering. What a soiree!!!! UNFORGETTABLE!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Viki, thank you for sharing all that - it made for wonderful reading! I know what you mean about the trains, stations etc. Now I can take them in my stride, but I remember the first few times.... very scary! I'm just watching the Americas Cup, and as you know I'm sure, the All Blacks won last night. It's a good weekend to be a Kiwi, but I tell you what, given the chance I'd be off to France in a flash. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I'm seeing if I can reply. Just testing, to see why it wouldn't work for you. OK so far! :-)

      Delete