Monday 30 September 2013

Les promenades



I have been trying to go for at least one walk per day. I tuck the i phone into my bra strap, poised and positioned for a quick Kodak moment. You never know!

Slapping my backside in a self -denigrating gesture, I indicated to Marthe that it was time to promenade

We proceeded to explore the local territory. If only you were there to experience it with me. 

I smiled to myself as we continued down the road where we live. The unknown territory was a charming little country lane. It was important to take care as there was no footpath and we shared the road with the cars. 

The first photo stop was the entrance of someone's house. Les loups translates as the wolves. My brain searched it's files to make sense of this. 
  • Are the people who live here called Mr and Mrs Wolf?
  • Is this the name of the house?
  • Is this the name of ....... ?



Interesting!





The next fleeting photo stop was of an adorable iron gate. How disappointing that it would cost so much to copy this idea chez moi.  What a regal way to introduce guests to the estate.




We made our way initially through residential roads, then we picked our way through fields of long grass, past an archery field, past an old abandoned stone building, through an industrial estate, across a busy road and a round about that threatened death if I wasn't careful, and onward to a pretty little country lane. I asked Marthe to take a photo of me.

My ample derrière still announces my daily addiction to chocolate. however, that state of affairs is currently undergoing change.



OOOOoooohh. A rose!     Belle.



On another walk, I took the opportunity to capture this little beauty. How sweet. Would you believe me if I told you that it is in the backyard of a McDonalds????



I spotted this little restaurant in town. Cute name, n'est-ce pas?


 

In french, une marmite is a large cooking pot. I wonder if we stole the word from the french as our salty spread ,flavoured beef stews cooked in a large cooking pot. When I spoke to numerous classes about our strange , black salty spread that we spread onto toast, they were perplexed over such a bizarre eating habit. I brought an empty plastic Marmite jar from home. i gave the students the opportunity to inhale its peculiar smell. They all concurred that it STINKS.

One of the kind english teachers managed to find a jar in the central supermarket. She bought the jar, as a matter of curiosity. She gifted it to me, as it was beyond comprehension to actually eat it.



The other day when I was waiting to meet someone in town, I stood outside the pink painted tourism office. Next to me, in prime position, in the centre of all the goings on in town, was this Durex dispenser. How do YOU interpret this as a social comment? It must be to prevent the spread of disease. 

Marthe and I laughed at the absurdity of making a purchase from this dispenser in full view of all café go-fers. You would have to be brazenly european to make the purchase. Anyway, I lurked next to this dispenser for half an hour whilst I waited for my friend. I love people watching. Sadly, no brazen european gigolo made a purchase to fulfil my imagination.

I think my blog is aptly named: Meet Me in France. I hope you have enjoyed taking a walk with me, engaging in banter and sharing the visual adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment