Sunday 15 September 2013

I bought what i thought was little mints to freshen my mouth. I received more than I bargained. These little gems have a sweet, but not too sweet exterior, and a gum centre. A taste sensation!
Yesterday, Marthe, my beautiful hostess, took me in her cute jeep on a wonderful ride.
At first, we stopped at a HUGE warehouse-type shop and purchased some trousers suitable for walking. I also needed a back pack. We found 2 that were suitable. I was trying to decide between the one that was more functional, or the one that was more chic. Not understanding what was going through my head, Marthe was saying something repeatedly that I didn't understand. I didn't understand why she was talking to me about green peas. A dear man standing close to us was watching a listening at the comedy unfolding in front of him. With kind twinkling eyes, he explained to me, in broken english, that Marthe was suggesting that I insert the huge heavy weight that was hanging on the hook. It was a courtesy bag, to insert in the back pack to ascertain how a heavy bag feels when it is on your back. We all had a chuckle because the word that she was using for "weight" and the word for "green peas" sounds the same, but is spelt differently.
Not much further on, the little rustic jeep was squeezed into a parking space. Immediately, I requested that Marthe take my photo of me admiring the geraniums. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! It's kinda like decorating the town with colour. (It's in the details of life, that one can find the most pleasure.)
And so I was transported into my favourite past time: searching for treasures at a massive garage sale.  It was an insight into the lives, garages, hobbies of the french people. I saw so many things that I would love to have purchased. The prices were negligible, in true garage-sale style.
My first purchase was possibly my favourite. it was a fake fur leopard scarf.  1 EURO!!!!!! Excuse me while I calm my heart at the ecstasy and adrenalin hit of finding a treasure at such an adorable price. Marthe told me that the french word for soft, which is, doux, becomes a cute word for a cuddly scarf, "un doux doux". Très mignon. Very cute. I then began to realise that I wanted/needed almost everything I saw. In the end I purchased a Mickey Mouse soft toy, ( who said that you can't BUY friends). I also purchased some cute arm bands that hold your sleeves up to stop them from hanging around one's wrists, very necessary, n'est-ce pas? I bought two essentials: miniature Eiffel Tower key rings! Marthe had a field day at laughing at me for buying those junky trinkets. I purchased a large coq. Yellow and plastic, but a large coq nonetheless. From another stall, I purchased a little french farmyard of plastic animals. Marthe didn't say anything, but I could see the despair at me purchasing such JUNK. little did she understand that it would make a perfect display in my future classroom, as we learn the names of these barn yard animals. Another adorable purchase was an exquisitely tranquil and content cherub lying on it's side = 1Euro!!!!! "Heart, please settle!" I also purchased some very austrian flower buttons. Goodness only knows what I shall use them for, but one day they will be the perfect answer to a future upcycling project.
Now for the "pièce de résistance". At this stall the delightful lady had two massive snake skins. They were from Africa. I swear these snakes had just eaten a herd of zebra. I believe that they were about 5 metres long. The lady recounted a story of how her son had killed the snakes whilst they were slovenly digesting a large animal. The skins were "to die for".... pardon the pun. The price: 100 Euros per skin put me off the purchase. Although I was tempted to buy the real fox fur, head still attached. Somehow, I don't think that New Zealand customs would see things from MY point of view.
Marthe bought some fabulous buttons, feathers and beads.
The nearby mountains watched on with quiet amusement.
OOOOOOOHHHHH fossicking. I could have spent ALL DAY there!
The stalls stretched down the road like a lazy snake. Please note the sky criss-crossed with jet trails. Picturesque to the max.
Narrow streets, aye? You can't see, but the bunting punctuating every 20 metres or so, are cute little t-shirt shapes, not your average little triangle shapes. Note to self, copy this idea on my return.
We drove further on, deep into the mountains. We paused here for lunch. In the foreground is a Pétanque piste. It was deserted as the summer holidays had finished. Normally, this area is coated with a blanket of snow. Please note: the most unusual shape of the mountain peaks in the distance. As we munched on lunch, i bombarded Marthe with questions about the wildlife in the mountains. OK. So there are wild pigs, Sangriar, wolves and wild cows. Uh huh. Marthe assured me not to worry as they won't bother us. Uh huh.
Cheap Kiwi toy got in on the lunch action. Lunch was onion tart, banana, figs, bread and delicious cheese.
After lunch we walked along the dry river bed to a QUAINT little enclave of dwellings.


Stunning bright colours.
As it turns out Marthe and Hervé own a little house here. We paused at the restaurant for Marthe to greet her friends with the customary three cheek kisses. The restaurant was beyond beautiful. In the window was a bizarre display of small stuffed polar bears. The smell of aromatic herbs and chicken cooking wafted out of the doorway. Marthe invited me to take a peek inside. The entire restaurant was furnished in soft, rich- rustic wood. Oh la la.
And then we arrived at the entrance to Marthe's house.
The view from their house down the road.....
....... inside.......... they are currently instigating an entirely new interior ....
....... from the back door ........
......... up the road...... please note the adorable church bell.

I must share with you that when Marthe showed the view from the back of the house, she picked three wild strawberries. She invited me to eat one. Without hesitation, I nibbled respectively a tiny bite of this reddish-green fruit. My mouth was not prepared for this heavenly taste sensation, sweet, tangy and mature to perfection. How does one express taste explosion without it becoming obscene?????? After eating the first strawberry, Marthe could not resist the pleasure of insisting that I eat more than my fair share, the second strawberry.

By this time, my happiness of all these new experiences were starting to reach an all-time high.
We then recommenced our little walk. Ascending steeply up the mountain, we encountered another friend of Marthe's who owns a little stables of cute ponies. She organises rides for kids. Er... photo opportunity of beautiful pony not neglected.
Voilà. Cute stables.
Another unwanted duplicate photo.
By the time we had ascended for about 30 minutes, the walk flattened out. Both Marthe and I fell silent as we walked in awe and respect of the spiritual energy that enveloped us. I couldn't help but feel my heart swell with love for Mother Nature. Please note, those ever-present unusual and powerfully present peaks.

After another 10 minutes or so, I confess, I fell apart. I was overcome with the extreme spirituality of the moment. As I expressed my immense emotions as only I do best, with tears, Marthe was bewildered...... What was wrong?????? She soon got the idea that they were tears of happiness. I think tears are terribly contagious, no words were necessary.
Aw! An adorable metallic-silver champignon.
Here's a good story. You're gonna love this little vignette. 
I asked Marthe if we could pause for a few minutes so that I could sit, close my eyes and get in tune with vibrations. We found a lovely place in the sun, facing those gorgeous peaks. I duly closed my eyes and went into another zone.  Lo and behold, when I opened my eyes again, there in front of me was A WOLF!!!!! OMG.  Ha. No. It was a domestic dog that looked identical to a wolf. It came up to the two of us seated on the grass, wagged it's tail, nuzzled Marthe and gave me three big juicy licks on my face.  MAGNIFICENT!!!!!

My funny bone was tickled on that one!
On our descent, we heard a beautiful musical low clonking of cow bells. On my curiosity we navigated two electric fences to try and get closer to these majestic and massive beasts. As we peered through the bushes and i took a photo, Marthe informed me that although these beats wear bells to enable them to be located when needed, that they were in fact, "sauvage". Uh huh. I didn't linger. I found their horns threatening.
The route home was via the most magnificently azure- blue lake that I have ever seen in my life. The road followed the lake for about 10 minutes. I was silenced once again in humble respect of the beauty of this most impressive lake.

As Marthe was driving, I picked up on her weariness. As I was deeply grateful for her generosity in looking after me, I suggested that I command the kitchen on our return and cook a culinery delight from New Zealand.

So on our return to Gap, we stopped in at a gorgeous, huge organic fruit and vegie shop. It was a visual extravaganza. Every kind of regular and exotic fruit and veg that you could possibly imagine. I found these rather "crown-like" pumpkin fascinating. Marthe and I had a ball as she explained seasonal fruits, prices and cooking procedures to me. The man at the counter thought i was american. Ha! When informed that I was from the land of the Long White Cloud, he spoke all about his friend who lives in France, but he is from New Zealand. "Whatever." We then went to a butcher shop to purchase some mince.The butcher minced the meat on the spot. There was a restaurant attached to the butcher shop. Uh huh. Interesting.

I was somewhat nervous about providing an inferior meal compared to Marthe's exquisite onion tarte. The shepherd's pie was a huge success. I suggest the quality ingredients had a lot to do with the final result. We dined with Hervé at 8:30 p.m. Marthe and I enjoyed recounting our day to Hervé, who was clearly exhausted as he had been to their third house that day and had attended to business as well as chopping wood.

What an epic day!
It's in the details that one finds the greatest pleasures.

3 comments:

  1. I am so enjoying your tales and the lovely way you have with words. Sounds marvellous. Keep updating please!,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing, and great photos! Are you using a camera and downloading them on to your laptop, or taking the photos with an I-pad or similar? Just wondering whether or not to get a new camera....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Er .... I lashed out and purchased an i phone. I now have 3 superb devices to switch between. The photos are taken with the i phone and then downloaded at the end of the day. So much fun taking photos. good luck, Alison!

    ReplyDelete