Sunday 3 November 2013

Alice in Wonderland



Il était une fois


Once upon a time …..

And so the ensuing 9 hours of fun began ……

I was shown a beautiful arcade. It's arched roof, harlequin chequered floor and classy boutiques were a feast for the eyes.



C took me to a gorgeous busy restaurant where many people were having lunch. Despite there being absolutely no people in this photo, trust me, there were multitudes of people. The restaurant was loaded with character. It was an excellent choice. The waiter was charming, attentive and had a big warm smile every time he served us. I chose a green salad ( feeling the need to eat something green) and C chose her favourite dish when she visits here with friends.

The place was alive with loud happy sounds. C and I chatted easily over our delicious meals. 


With our tummies comfortably full, we embarked on a sightseeing tour. C was the perfect guide.


Chopin's hangout, back in the day.




Les Folies Bergère: Toulouse Lautrec's hangout back in the day.



C was dressed perfectly. Very chic: styley woollen trench, boho scarf, leather shoulder-strung handbag, black opaque tights with the most gorgeous red suede boots adorned with a cute bow at the ankle. Parfait!



 I had told C all about my difficulties to find suitable public toilets whilst I walk the streets of Paris. When we walked past one cast onto the footpath in a pile of rubbish, she smirked cheekily as she invited me to use this one.



I took this opportunity to snap a photo of this adorable shop window. Am a little disappointed that the reflection does not allow you to see the amazing random display of everything to do with locks and keys. What a crazy display!! But crazy/cute, not crazy/awful.




C took me to an adorable courtyard. The mural of thousands of ways to say I love in every conceivable language was a creative and loving manifestation of love.

Can you find the english words: "I love you. "    ???? 




We walked further and ascended into the Monmartre area.

I didn't know anything about this area until now. It is very hip, chic and a bit like Ponsonby and Kingsland. Montmartre is on a hill. At the top of the hill is the most impressive Sacré Coeur Cathedrale.




Oh look what I spotted. A very cool name for a shop: Zut! This translates as "Drat! " or "Shoot!"

I have also learnt another cool expression: "Mince!" which means, " Darn" or "Drat" or "Nuts".
C was coming up with a word that I hadn't known previously, "Marrant". It translates as "Weird" or "Funny". It is always exciting to add commonly used words to my spoken conversation. It can get quite boring using a limited vocabulary.



C pointed out a house in this little street. It is a popular tourist spot, as it used to house a famous artist. I CAN'T REMEMBER HIS NAME! (Zut!)



I told C that I loved owls. She spotted a cute little graffiti owl on the wall.




We did a little circuit where there were artists doing their thing in front of the tourists. This is where tourists can sit and pose whilst they do a flattering pencil drawing of you.

I made a mental note of this. I know that many artists do self portraits. A few days later I tried to copy a photo of myself using an app on my i pad. The result was pleasantly successful. One day when I get the courage, I will post it as a profile picture on Facebook. It is fraught with imperfections. But if you can embrace the perfections with empathy towards my naïve, primitive ability …. I will be most grateful.




I LOVED looking at the colourful and fantastic paintings!!!!!

Sacré Coeur was majestic, imposing, and an incredible sight to feast upon. Surveying Paris from the top of the hill, the Sacré Coeur deserves all the tourist adulation.



This is the priceless view from the steps in front of the blessed ancient church.




C pointed out the beautifully display on this door. She and I  are definitely on the same page.


I took another snap of a black plaque on the wall of another school. I cringe at the thought of the Nazi's coming in to school and taking away Jewish children for a morbid fate. My heart lurches at the thought of it.



Ah. Good spotting. C pointed out another cool graffiti picture of an owl. 

Hibou is owl in french.

New learning for me was a more common term for owl: Chouette. This same word has another meaning as well: "Cool" or "Nifty".  Chouette. We have many words in English that are exactly the same, but have totally different meanings.



Next on the tour were steep steps down to the Monmartre village.



C and I love thrift shops: Friperie. She was keen to show me some cool shops. She had lived in Monmartre for a year with her sister.

 


"What do you think,Viki? Do these boots look OK?" 
"Qu'est-ce que tu pense, Viki?"



We spent a good two hours visiting some very, very cool shops. We bought a few items. 

I learnt another new term in French,"Bobo". It means boho, which is short for bohemian chic.

C styled me in a woollen men's jacket and a narrow yellow leather belt. I loved the purchases and we both felt pleased with ourselves.

As the day was drawing to a close, we went back to C's apartment. It was absolutely beautiful. I love places that express the occupant's personality. Her ancient fireplace warranted a photo. Beautiful, nest-ce pas?



Look at the view from her bedroom window!!!!!!!!!!




C giggled as she appeared with a pair of leather ankle boots that were the PERFECT companion for her new purchase today. I loved the Chanel feel to this handbag that has a gold chain for shoulder swing.

With a nana tone in my voice, I suggested that it wasn't too practical …. I mean you can't even fit a water bottle in there. She promptly placed a water bottle in the bag and snapped it shut with ease. 

One point to C / minus one point to me.

 Her grin resembled the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland.



I didn't want the day to end. And I was delighted when C agreed to have an aperitif with me in a local bar. 

The young flirtatious waiter made me feel on top of the world.

After a Kir, and an intense afternoon of talking to C, my fluent french improved, exponentially.

I felt very smug indeed.


C had a brilliant idea. The Eiffel Tower was nearby. As night had fallen she knew of a wonderful thing that happens every hour, on the hour.

We made our way towards the famous icon with Kir-fuelled light-headed joviality.



The photos that C took of me in front of the Eiffel Tower were all out of focus.

At eight o'clock sharp the Eiffel Tower sprung into a twinkling wonder. The lights flashed on and off whilst I jumped with glee for a character-filled photo. I must say, it was rather difficult to leap off the ground, as my body felt extremely leaden after such a physically and mentally exhausting day.
I love this photo. C was giggling so much. She even accidentally made the Eiffel Tower lean a bit. Must be a cousin of another tower in Italy!!!


 The evening visit to the tower had such a different feel to it than my visit to it much earlier in the day. It made me realise how much more fun it is to spend time with PEOPLE when sight-seeing. 

The evening continued as we dined in a fabulous little local restaurant. We were joined by her partner. He was conversant, amiable and a perfect partner for C. It was extremely cool to see their love for each other and spend a fabulous evening together.


I knew the evening had to draw to a close and I took this selfie in the mirror so that I would never forget the time that I spent with a couple of fabulous Parisians!!!!!!

The photo turned out to be quite artistic with its infinite frames in the mirror. 

Alice in Wonderland. An analogy that is reminiscent of my first impressions of Paris the night I landed in Paris.



No comments:

Post a Comment