Wednesday 20 November 2013

The journey of a thousand miles, begins with the first step.



8:30 a.m.
The crisp, fresh mountain air filled my lungs with invigorating energy.
I swung the iron gates closed and trundled my cabin-sized suitcase along the country road.

Embarking on a 5 day adventure to Turin, Italy was an exciting prospect. I was very privileged to be asked to accompany a group of 29, thirteen and fourteen year olds, and two teachers, on an exchange trip to a smallish town called, Pinerolo, 5o kms from Turin. This is an annual exchange.

As the rumble of the wheels of the suitcase echoed amongst the trees, I was pleasantly surprised to be approached from the rear by a friendly gentleman out on a walk. He had a very close resemblance to Santa Claus. I was impressed when he told me that he walks great distances every day. He bade me farewell as I reached my destination and I was delighted to have made contact with such a delightful person.

I arrived way before everyone else. I took a photo of our bus, impressed with its modernity, size and colour of course. 






10 minutes later the pink, modern bus drove off. 

1 minute later this white elephant turned up! It turned out that, this was to be our chariot for the journey. 

Ah, but in retrospect, it was a comfortable and sturdy work horse for the winding mountain roads.



Moments before we were settled onto the bus, a teacher ran across the car park to deliver a fresh croissant to me. It turned out to be a gift from an anonymous student who had spied me from afar. She had asked the teacher to deliver it to me.What a fantastic act of random kindness!



The bus was filled with quiet, but eager students.

"Let the adventure begin!"

No comments:

Post a Comment