Sunday 3 November 2013

Morning tea extraordinaire



9:30 a.m. E met me at the top of the stairs of the Metro exit. Three cheek kisses was becoming a familiar and comfortable experience. The traffic noise fell into the background as we caught up with what we had been doing since we had last been together at the end of the school term. It was fantastic to talk with a friend after such a harrowing day, the day before.

This morning tea with E's mother became one of the highlight's of my week-long stay in Paris.

This 93 year old woman was a beacon of light for me. Her stories of the past, of her family and her varied life experiences fascinated me. I could vividly picture in my mind as she recounted and described, in french, her rich patchwork. I was overwhelmed with respect and love for this beautiful woman.



The morning tea was quite formal. The coffee table was laid out with artistic and elegant flair.



 I could have explored the photos and memorabilia for hours. I prompted E with sincere questions and delighted in visiting the past with her interesting responses.




The quaint apartment had a little balcony with beautiful potted trees. If you stood at the end of the balcony and leaned out a fraction, you could see the Eiffel Tower.




Unfortunately, E's mother had an appointment. The hour and a half was far too short. But a most enriching experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment