Wednesday 6 November 2013

Grateful.


I surveyed the scene from a cosy vantage point tight against a stairwell. The gargantuan train station with three grandiose halls was alive with travellers. It was a fascinating sight. 

As I paused for 20 minutes before the train departed Paris for Lyon, I counted many, many blessings.

  1. I had departed the hotel in sufficient time to allow for setbacks. I had enough time to pause, breathe and calm down after doing a métro ride with two connections.
  2. I was very grateful that Stephen, a fellow LIA recipient, had carefully explained how to follow the procedure to catch the correct train when we first arrived in Paris, what seemed a lifetime ago.
  3. I was very grateful, that Marthe had booked the train ticket on line for me. She also took me to the train station and spoke to the cashier in fluent french when I needed it changed to accommodate a change of plans.
  4. I was very grateful that I heeded the suggestion to travel first class for only a few euros more. After such a harrowing week in Paris I was ready for a bit of luxury.





The first class carriage (voiture), was a deep, rich plush red colour. The toilets were spacious. I had a lovely window seat. I was able to relax!




I enjoyed listening to the grandparents in the nearby seats attending to their adored grandchildren. The love and caring filled the carriage. I was so delighted to see how much strength and enhanced -upbringing grandparents can give. Note to self: invite my grandchildren whenever I go on holiday.





This shot is from the train window as we departed Paris. looking out of the window , viewing the somewhat bleak landscape I silently said a prayer of thanks. I was very, very grateful that I was able to spend a lot of time in Paris, ON MY TERMS, without having to compromise with anyone else's wishes.


This is yet another bleak picture of the countryside. However, in general, it was exceptionally pretty. I enjoyed the opportunity to shut my brain down and go into half-brain sleep mode, like the dolphins!



I snapped another photo as the train was about 20 minutes away from the destination stop of Lyon.  Interestingly, it is Lyon in french and Lyons in english.


As I trundled my baggage towards the exit of the train station, I took a snap of the stationary train.




The spectacular roof of the walkway in the train station allowed a beautiful play of light; it was warm, welcoming and somewhat arty.


Stepping out of the train station was visual paradise. The sun shone very brightly. The central water feature made happy gurgling sounds. Kids playing games, picnickers, carousel turning, café goers conversing. It was paradise. I instantly felt the difference of vibes between Paris and Lyon. I was very, very grateful that I decided to stay in Lyon for the weekend. I wondered what adventures the next two days would bring.




No comments:

Post a Comment